Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Buffalo Milk Yogurt

Yes, it has been months since I last posted on the yogurt blog. I didn't try very many new yogurts this summer. There was an Israeli leben that was so awful that I didn't want to think about it, let alone write it up. It was very runny and tasted like chemicals. (Supposedly, it was strawberry flavored.)

Fortunately, I noticed a buffalo milk yogurt, Bufala di Vermont at Whole Foods* yesterday. It was $1.99, which is a little pricey, but still more than $1 less than Icelandic yogurts and 20 cents cheaper than my favorite sheep milk yogurt, Old Chatham Farms. I figured that I enjoy bufala mozzarella, so why not give it a try? I bought the plain, although it comes in a few different flavors.

This yogurt makes Greek yogurt look like its water. It's so thick it is nearly a solid block, which makes it hard to stir. I found it very tangy, so I added some Equal to sweeten it up. In some ways, the consistency reminded me of ricotta. Overall, I enjoyed it immensely.

There's a decent amount of calcium (25% RDA) and it is very low on carbs (only 6 grams!). As a full fat yogurt, I thought that 8 grams of fat and 120 calories were not bad. (Almost all the calories are from fat, though.) Next time I am at Whole Foods, I'll buy this again.

*Which, incidentally, sells my beloved sheep milk yogurt for 60 cents less per container than Fairway, my bargain neighborhood grocer!

No comments: