Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lifeway Strawberry Lassi

Lassis are yogurt drinks popular (for very good reason) in India. While I was there, I drank at least four every day. (I wish I was exaggerating. Fortunately, our hotels had all you can eat breakfast buffets with pitchers of lassis, so I refilled my glass multiple times. Then I usually ordered a lassi with dinner, too.) Generally, they come in three traditional flavors: salty (aka "gross"), sweet, and mango. Lassis also tend to be sort of high in fat and calories in addition to flavor (and cost more in the US than India), so I try not to consume them to often.

At Whole Foods, I was excited to find a small packaged lassi in the dairy case from Lifeway.

The only flavor in stock was strawberry, and the 8 oz. carton had only 174 calories and 2 grams of fat, so I was psyched. Even better, the drink contains 30% of the RDA for calcium. The drink even has 3 grams of fiber to slightly off set the high level of carbs found in flavored yogurt. Excellent. I forgot how much it cost, but I think it was $1.29, which is somewhat reasonable. (I need to pay more attention to these things if I am going to seriously review yogurt, I know.)

Ah, sounds good so far, but how does it taste? I was very pleased. The strawberry was just sweet enough, but not overpowering. I like lassis because they have a sourish yogurty taste that is not overwhelming, but just a perfect balance with the sweet. Lifeway surprisingly got that down. Yumminess. I hope that I can find the mango flavor, too.

I wish they were also organic, but I suppose they'd cost more than $1.29 if they were. The verdict: I'll be stocking up on these babies!

Originally published at CUSS & Other Rants

No comments: