Monday, April 21, 2008

Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have You Any Yogurt?

Old Chatham Sheepherding Company makes sheep's milk yogurt in three flavors: plain, ginger, and maple. Although they are rather pricey ($2.79 for a six ounce cup in the cheese department of Fairway, my local grocery store), I am obsessed with them as a once in a while treat. I tried the plain first (super tangy), then the ginger (very good, and I don't even like ginger!). Yesterday I finally ate the maple.

Clearly, I saved the best for last. Every bite of this luscious yogurt was rich and flavorful. It was not too sweet, but not too tangy, either. While not as thick as Greek yogurt, it has a good consistency that is not too thin. The yogurt has a very good amount of calcium in it, at 29% of the RDA. Supposedly it is higher in protein than cow milk yogurt, although no amount was listed on the nutrition facts label.

I would eat this every day, if not for three drawbacks:

1. Price.
2. It only comes in full fat - 8 grams per serving (5 of which are saturated), which is a lot.
3. No fiber, although the carb content (15 g) is lower than many yogurts, so the lack of fiber to offset the carb load is not too bad.

The verdict: if price were no obstacle, this would be my daily yogurt. OK, I might alternate it with a Greek yogurt since I love how thick Fage is, but I'd definitely eat the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company stuff more than once every two weeks if I could.

No comments: