Monday, April 21, 2008

Chobani Non-Fat Vanilla

Although I swear undying love to Fage non-fat Greek yogurt, I felt that I needed to try some other brand for research purposes. What if, as deliciously perfect as it is, Fage was the second mass-market Greek yogurt out there? I'd be missing out.

A few weeks ago, my friend Sara emailed me and asked me about Chobani. Since I had yet to try another Greek yogurt from the grocery store (although I have eaten homemade Greek yogurt at two local diners - Big Nick's is utterly fantastic; Manhattan Diner is OK), I could not provide any thoughts. Now I can: buy Fage.

Perhaps this is unfair because I bought vanilla instead of plain. The vanilla left a horrific aftertaste in my mouth. While very thick, it also was hardly smooth. Little pieces and chunks annoyed my tongue. However, it is very low in calories (only 120) and carbs (13 g) for a sweetened yogurt. The cup only provides 20% of the RDA for calcium. At $1.69 for 6 oz., yogurt this nasty is a rip off. (I bought an exotic apricot mango goat milk yogurt for only 10 cents more - can't wait to eat that!!)

To be fair, I will pick up plain Chobani to see if it is as good as the plain Fage. I only hope that it is much better than the vanilla.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I thought I was the only one that was grossed out by the vanilla. It is almost like it is separating in the container - the little dried chunks get mixed in with the creamy part and make these gross little balls. I thought maybe Fresh Market was carrying spoiled yogurt, but I haven't gotten sick yet... All the reviews have been so positive about this flavor - I can't believe no one has mentioned the chunks yet. I'm not a picky eater, either.