Thursday, April 3, 2008

C'est Bon for Real

Yoplait's slogan is, "C'est bon!" However, I am of the opinion that Yoplait is shitty yogurt. Not the nastiest yogurt on the planet by any means (see: whatever the Dannon fat free, sugar free stuff is), but not very good. I'll eat if I have to, but way prefer other mass market products, like Stonyfield Farms. (Although I prefer my yogurt without small pieces of glass in it - my friend told me that all Blueberry Stonyfield Farm yogurts were recalled because they may have shards of glass in them.)

This brings me to Liberté Yogurt. For 99 cents, I secured a 6 oz. carton of Six Grains Yogurt with pear. It is low fat, with no sugar added, has no aspertame, and is rBGH free. The taste is superb. I think the six grains (barley, oat, rye, wheat, rice, and buckwheat) add an excellent chewy kick, and are better than granola. The chunks of pears were large and sweet.

On the downside, the yogurt is not very thick. I'm not expecting Greek-style thickness, but I think even Stonyfield is thicker. It's not liquidy, but anyone looking for a thick yogurt might be disappointed. It also has a little less calcium (25% RDA) than some other brands.

Still, I will definitely buy this yogurt again (and again). It also comes in strawberry, raspberry, and peach. How do you say "yum" in French?

1 comment:

Alex Elliot said...

I saw a sign at Trader Joe's saying that they were recalling their blueberry yogurt (it didn't say why) but they've told me in the past that their brand of yogurt is really Stonyfield, they just pay for the private label.