Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nuttin', Honey!

Nancy's Honey Yogurt is supposedly lightly sweetened with honey, although it doesn't taste at all sweet to me. Never mind, though; I love this yogurt! It has the consistency of sour cream, thicker than many yogurts but not Greek-style by any means. It is smooth, tart and tangy, and makes a delightful smoothie. What I like best about it, though, is its versatility. It's really perfect as a base for yogurt-based (or even sour cream-based) dips, including tzaziki (my favorite). I must admit that in this house, we do something a little unusual with the yogurt -- we eat it with rice. My husband is Iranian, and rice with yogurt is a common treat. In fact, when I met him, his most frequent bachelor dinner was rice, yogurt and raw onion. It sounds strange, but it grows on you.

It has 8 grams of fat (4 saturated) in a cup, so again it's a little fattier than you might prefer if you're watching your fat intake, but they do have low-fat and fat-free versions. Just not, sadly, in the honey variety.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh, I just saw that yogurt in the grocery store and was wondering what it would be like. Now I know I should try it.

And, by the way, I think rice with yogurt sounds delicious.